10th Christchurch (Mudeford) Sea Scouts Registration Number 24761.

It is reported that the Troop was formed 18 months after the experimental camp on Brownsea Island in August 1907. Known as 1st Mudeford, the Troop consisted of 4 patrols - Wolf, Stag, Peewit and Horse made up of boys from the Stanpit, Mudeford and Purewell areas. The Scoutmaster was Mr Louis Henry Hiscock, coachman to the Shrubb family, who at that time lived at Inveravon and it was in the Coach House, now known as The Paddock, that the Troop held its meetings. Mr. L H Hiscock, the Scoutmaster was also the Honorary Secretary to the Christchurch Association, the first person on record to hold this position.

Taken on 6th February 1910

The Christchurch Times for March 1911 mentioned the Mudeford Troop in a report and the Headquarters.

The Gazette of November 1911 announced the award of the Medal of Merit to Scout A Cox of Mudeford Troop.

The Christchurch Times gives more details of this award, reporting that it was for saving a man from drowning. The Troop was represented at the Windsor Rally of 1911 and when Baden-Powell visited Southampton in 1912 Lifesavers and Kings Scouts from the Troop were presented to him.

The Group, it seems from stories handed down, almost ceased to function during the First World War but the 2nd Christchurch Mudeford Troop is mentioned in the 1920 census return, meeting at the Village Room in Stanpit with F Ricardo as Scoutmaster and then again in 1921 with E T Han as Scoutmaster. It is assumed that the Troop ceased to exist between 1923 and 1936 as no mention is made of it. The 10th Mudeford All Saints started in 1937 but closed during the Second World War as confirmed by the Form E sent to Headquarters from Christchurch District - Group 17596 10th Christchurch (All Saints Mudeford) closed, lack of Scouters and 34 dated 10th November 1938.

It was again registered on 6th September 1946, number 24761 10th Christchurch (All Saints Mudeford) by the Group Scoutmaster Rev K P FitzGerald with 18 Scouts and 7 Sea Scouts. Apparently the group became a Sea Scout Group in 1948.

In 1975 the title of the Group was officially changed to 10th Christchurch (Mudeford) Sea Scout Group. Since reforming in 1946 Mudeford has always been a strong group and well supported. In 1973 the group decided it needed a new headquarters, with this as its aim, a committee was set up under the chairmanship of Gerry Long. Plans were drawn up in 1974 and a massive fund raising drive was launched. On December 4th 1976 the task was complete when T S Orestes was opened by Capt. Ommenny, Queens Harbour Master at Portsmouth. The Troop won the Solent Sea Scout Regatta for the first time in 1978. The Group achieved Royal Navy recognition in 1981.

The Troop won the National Swimming Championship for Admiralty Recognised Scout Groups at HMS Raleigh, Plymouth in 1982. The Scout Leader at the time of these successes was David Stevens who later became the Assistant District Commissioner Leader Training

Mudeford take delivery of a new safety boat

Mudeford Cubs have also gone from strength to strength under the leadership of Laurie Chick who stepped aside in May 1998 after 27 years as Cub Leader.

Laurie passed away in 2001

A Beaver Colony was formed in June 1987 the first leaders were Christine Crow and Ann Morton

The Group introduced girls into the Troop for the first time in January 1999.

Leaders during the “Noughties”

Beaver Leader -Amanda Noles

Cub Leader - Ashley Harman and then Paul Root

Scout Leader -Roger Murray and then Keith Vinycomb

Explorer Leader - Nick Stone

Cubs with Ashley the Cub Leader 2003 – 2006 ( also Scout ASL 2010 – 2016) Ash sadly passed away in 2020

Ash with James Morton ( Group Chairman 1976 – 1984, Dorset County Commissioner 2001- 2007 Group President 2020-

Chris Stacey Cub leader 2010 – 2017

Group Scout leader 2018 - 2019

Nick Stone Cub Leader 1997- 2003 Explorer Scout Leader 2003 – 2011 ASL 2011 – 2014 Group Scout Leader 2014- 2018 AGSL 2018 -

Julian Smith , Scout Leader 2009-2017

We continue to make our own History